1.0 Speaker Page – Template
Owen is a Deputy Director in the Strategic Centre for Organised Crime in the Home Office, with lead national policy responsibility for Economic (fraud, bribery and corruption, money laundering, asset recovery) and Cyber Crime. He and his colleagues are working with local, regional and national public sector, private sector and civil society partners in order to:
- Improve our response to fraud, bribery and corruption;
- Enhance our performance and approach to asset recovery and money laundering;
- Produce and implement a new Criminal Finance Bill;
- Establish and deliver a programme to reform the Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) regime; and
- Develop new capabilities to tackle cyber crime.
Owen’s previous roles over 20 years within Whitehall and the European Commission were comprised of a range of crime, policing and security posts, including:
- Led Design of the National Crime Agency;
- Head of Drug Strategy;
- Secretary to the Chilcot Review of Use of Intercept Material as Evidence;
- Established and led the first Counter-Terrorism Science and Innovation Team; and
- Lead European Commission negotiator on Justice and Home Affairs with Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Bosnia & Herzegovina.
Deputy Director & Head of Economic Unit